Labyrinth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

TK's slow progression to a new computer

3 posters

Go down

TK's slow progression to a new computer Empty TK's slow progression to a new computer

Post by KO Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:44 am

After developing a tan line on my legs that Snooki would be proud of, I have decided it is time to finally upgrade from my toaster that slightly resembles a computer.

My current specs: Runs on magma (or at least runs so hot that it feels that way)
Aesthetically pleasing chewing gum designs (note: do not remove chewing gum - it is holding the laptop together)
Certificate of authentification providing entry to any heirloom/artifact museums (also includes a table and a wax dummy - warning: dummy will melt if computer is turned on near it)

Essentially this means that anything will be an upgrade, however, I have decided that, due to the amount of time I spend on a computer and the amount of enjoyment that I gain from it, I will save my pennies and work towards buying a high-tier upgrade.

In this thread, I will be posting a basic outline of the components I plan to use for this build, any components that I purchase and eventually some benchmarks/speeds once I complete it.
As a side goal, I have decided it will be a nice challenge to fund at least some of it by playing games. I wont discuss publicly how, but I will keep a running record of what I accumulate from gaming on here also. If anyone is desperately curious about how I will be making this money, feel free to pm me and I can let you know - it's not that interesting though.

I believe I can only moderate in the events forum, so the best bet to see updates will be by checking the last posts.
KO
KO
Retired Moderator

Back to top Go down

TK's slow progression to a new computer Empty Re: TK's slow progression to a new computer

Post by KO Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:50 am

Current build plan: CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.29 @ PB Technologies)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Q87M-D2H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($194.35 @ PB Technologies)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($137.00 @ Paradigm PCs)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.98 @ Aquila Technology)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.00 @ Paradigm PCs)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($199.95 @ Computer Lounge)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($40.24 @ PB Technologies)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($149.00 @ PC Force)
Total: $1231.81

Current funding from gaming:  $100 US

I plan on purchasing a video card from America and shipping it to NZ. New Zealand suppliers have a very limited stock and inflate the price something obscene. By shipping it from America, I will save ~30% on it. The video card will be the most expensive component in the build, so I figure the extra hassle will be worth it.

My current options for GPU are: MSI GTX 770 Lightning which costs approximately $350 US (Not available in NZ)
EVGA GTX 780 FTW which costs approximately $550 US (Approximately 950-1050 NZD)
KO
KO
Retired Moderator

Back to top Go down

TK's slow progression to a new computer Empty Re: TK's slow progression to a new computer

Post by Dreadmist Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:14 am

Looks pretty solid to me, I bought a GTX 680 about 1½ years ago when I built my new rig and still going strong. But if I was to do a new build I would definatly include a 770/780.

No idea what you do outside of RS but it might be worth saving the $200 on the 780?

E/ Also I would really recommend a SSD, they're amazing.  Very Happy 

Dreadmist

Back to top Go down

Post by KO Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:23 pm

I will most likely go with the 770, unless I suddenly stumble across 200 extra dollars before I purchase the GPU. The increase in performance isn't worth the extra $200 US to me. I would rather spend it on a second monitor.

Have you got any recommendations for SSD?
I would assume 120GB would be enough. Aside from OS, I can't think of anything else I would benefit from having on an SSD.
KO
KO
Retired Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreadmist Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:55 pm

Sounds like a good choice, I for one can't imagine ever going back to just a single monitor again.  Cool 

As for an SSD I'd go with Corsair or Intel and 120GB is fine. I a have 120GB one myself and It's plenty of room for windows 7 + I tend to swap over my "main games" to it aswell.

Other than that your SSD will obviously make all file sharing etc alot faster and once downloaded you just move the files to your HDD.

I'm no SSD expert though, but there's no doubt a huge difference (nothing like booting up in a matter of seconds imo) and if you're using windows 8 it'll be even better.  Razz

This is the one I got.
http://www.corsair.com/en/ssd/force-series-3-ssd/force-series-3-120gb-sata-3-6gbps-solid-state-hard-drive.html

Dreadmist

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:42 pm

All this computer talk Razz

I may look into a new PC in 2014. That or another Mac tbh. It's not that Macs are incredibly functional but I love the interface and I find that the OS massively outperforms Windows. I could get a PC build and install Linux, but then I probably would lose some functionality just because I have a feeling that plain Linux isn't as "seamless" as a Mac OS. That is, I wouldn't want to put in too much time to figure it all out ;)Maybe that's just a myth based on old Linux.

So really it's a toss-up for me (Mac vs PC). If it weren't for Windows ...
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://labyrinthclan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KO Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:15 am

I am adding a closed loop liquid cooler and a small SSD to my list. My hope is that with the liquid cooling the tower will be silent at no/low overclocks. If it works, I am very happy to pay that price. If not, it will still allow me to overclock higher.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($124.00 @ Paradigm PCs)
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO Series MZ-7TE120 120GB ($150.00 @ Paradigm PCs)

@Rew: Have you tried out W8.1? I have heard that it is a huge improvement.
The other option is you could just install the mac OS on to a computer you built. As far as I know, the OS will run on any computer. And if you install it on a computer you build, you are likely to get far better performance at a lower cost than buying a mac outright. There are also arguments for upgradability in favour of building your own computer.
KO
KO
Retired Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreadmist Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:01 am

Never done liquid cooling before, just been too afraid since I no nothing about it I suppose. Would love to try it in the near future though.

KO wrote: There are also arguments for upgradability in favour of building your own computer.

So true, atleast from my experience before I started building them myself that it was almost impossible to upgrade a single piece of hardware as everything was mixed and matched so much that you would have to upgrade atleast 3-4 pieces of hardware just for compatability sake and at that point you're better off just buying a new computer from "insert company name here". Since either it would cost more or you wouldn't know how to replace the parts.

Such a corrupt rip off really, guess it's a necessary evil though in order for them to stay in buisness.

Learning how to do it myself has been so damn worth it.

/end rant  Razz

Dreadmist

Back to top Go down

Post by KO Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:21 am

Supposedly, installing a closed loop liquid cooler is even easier than installing an air cooler. It only becomes difficult if you want to create a custom cooling set up.

I managed to find a really good deal on the NZXT Kraken x60, so am upgrading my plan from the h60 to that.
The only issue is that it has a 280mm radiator, which wouldn't have fit in the previous case. Because of this, I am also upgrading to NZXT Phantom 530 case for an extra $50.
It ends up being a far better cooler and moderately better case for ~$30. Pretty good bargain hunting if you ask me!
KO
KO
Retired Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by KO Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:15 am

MORE PROGRESS!

My Kraken x60 arrived.  It is sexy as fuck, and I can't wait to get it in to a tower.  Particularly after today's unbearable heat combining with my laptop reaching even more ridiculous temperatures.

I also bought a bunch of other components which were far more powerful than what I planned - and for an amazing price!

What I planned:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($320.84)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($191.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($127.00)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($149.00)
Video Card: MSI GTX 770 Lightning 2GB Video Card  ($589.00)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer  ($40.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($149.00)
Total: $1565.84
Minus ~$189 because I had planned on importing the GPU from America which saves a lot of money.
This brings the final total to: ~$1376

What I got:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($458.85)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($284.00)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($315.00)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($149.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card  ($649.95)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer  ($40.24)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit)  ($209.00)
Total: $2106.04

What I paid:  $1400!

That translates to a huge improvement in processor, motherboard and ram for less than the cost of a box of beer.  I also got an equivalent GPU (twice the VRAM but a slightly lower factory clock speed) but without the hassle of waiting for MSI to restock the one that I wanted and then waiting for it to be shipped to New Zealand.

All I am waiting for now are a few more pennies so I can get a case that will fit the x60 and a nice power supply.  Excitement levels are through the roof!
KO
KO
Retired Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreadmist Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:42 am

Man I'm jelly at those prices, EU is such a rip off. xD

Dreadmist

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:58 pm

Where did you end up buying/how did you save the $700? :O
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://labyrinthclan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KO Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:05 am

Admin wrote:Where did you end up buying/how did you save the $700? :O
+

I technically bought them second hand from New Zealand's version of ebay. There was a guy who was in the process of buying the parts he wanted for a build but before he could finish, his job required him to move over seas. This meant I was able to snap them up for a bargain bulk price. They were still brand new and sealed in the boxes, but since I didn't buy them from a shop they are technically second hand. Obviously we don't often use ebay because no one in their right mind would ship to New Zealand.

KO
KO
Retired Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreadmist Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:31 pm

Wow, that's quite lucky. Much save, many bargains.

I guess alot of things can be obtained cheap then via the New Zealand ebay because of the international shipping costs? :O

Dreadmist

Back to top Go down

Post by KO Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:48 pm

Dreadmist wrote:Wow, that's quite lucky. Much save, many bargains.

I guess alot of things can be obtained cheap then via the New Zealand ebay because of the international shipping costs? :O

It's pretty much the opposite. We don't produce items like that in NZ so everything has to be shipped in - and everything has to incur that shipping fee.
I was just very lucky.

The base tower has been built!
I will wait for a clear evening so I can take some pictures of it and give a run down of the specs.
KO
KO
Retired Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down